Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beef Tongue with Sour Cream Mushroom Gravy

Okay, I know what your thinking... I introduced you to oxtails, now I am trying to get you to eat something from the other end of the same animal. And once again, I am asking you to go out on a limb and try this... its beef.. pure and simple and absolutely delicious! And it is a cardinal sin NOT to serve this with hot mashed potatoes and my grandmother's Sour Cream Mushroom Gravy. Hmmm, where do you find beef tongue now a days? I have a specialty butcher I go to who carries it, sometimes Ive seen grocery stores in "old" or ethnic neighborhoods in Chicago have it. If anyone has a source for beef tongue in the Chicago land area let me know, would be greatly appreciated!! In fact, oh non believers, I have a story about beef tongue.... Once upon a time in a land far away, many moons ago, there was a party at my Aunt and Uncle's house. My grandmother was still alive and had bought to the party, of all things, enchiladas!! Now, i was young at the time, i do not know if granny made them or she had a lady at work make them, or she got the recipe from a lady at work... nonetheless, I would love to get my hands on that recipe! Anyway, naturally loving my grandmothers cooking I asked her what they were, she said beef enchiladas.. Well, I had to try one, well one turned into about 6 or 7.. they were that good. I went up to her and asked her how she made them, she looked at me and said you sure you want the recipe? I said why, what did you make it with? Beef Tongue, she said. I HATED beef tongue up until that moment. And I bet if I were to stop by your house and serve this to you on a plate, you would love it!!

1 Beef Tongue

Wash it, place in a large pot, cover with cold water bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 21/2 hours, if its fork tender, its done.

Take out of pot, skin the tongue and slice it up.

Make Mashed Potatoes. Reserve a cup of the water.


Sour cream Mushroom Gravy

1 can of mushrooms, drained(?)

1 T. and 1 small container of sour cream

1 T. Flour

1 cup of Potato Water

Dump the can of mushrooms, liquid and all into a pot, add the flour and 1 tablespoon of sour cream, mix till flour dissolves and then add 1 cup of hot potato water, mix in the rest of a small container of sour cream. Heat through, season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Anyone in the family know the correct method for making the mushroom gravy, or whether or not the juice from the can of mushrooms is added please let me know!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I found out from Joe that mom did dump in the can with liquid and all for the gravy.

    ReplyDelete